DIY Felt Baseball Ornament

Dec 19, 2012

This year I tried to make almost all of my gifts, but it didn't work out so well. I ended up buying most of the gifts for my family (it's hard to make stuff for a teenage boy who's into video games), but thankfully I did make some ornaments for friends, and this is one of them.

My inspiration for this tutorial was just a friend who likes baseball (duh). But it would work for pretty much any sport involving a ball, and it's so easy all it requires is some felt and thread!

So, I started by tracing a cup on some felt and cutting out two circles:
Then I took two strands of red embroidery thread) and just went to town hand-sewing a ton of 'V' shapes down the top circle. This part is tricky. I found it works best if you're not straining to get perfect 'V's that look exactly the same, because 1) it takes forever and 2) they look worse than the ones I did quickly without thinking about.
Once I finished making the front, I put the two circles together and hand stitched the edges together.

 Before completely sewing up the top, I stuffed a teensy bit of stuffing in there and then added the string to hang it from (braided embroidery thread).

 Have you bought or made your gifts this year?